Saturday, May 31, 2008

Non-linear, who me?

I've been around for 56 years and I'm still learning new things about myself. Perhaps I used to be a linear thinker, but in my dotage I have become very non-linear - some might say scattered. Here's how it manifests in this online course.
  1. Look at all the parts of the Unit 2. That's "look at", not read.
  2. Read all the posts, blogs. Enjoy the diversity.
  3. Read and print the assignments page. Leave in short term memory only.
  4. Read the lecture. Stress over incomprehensibility.
  5. Peruse links in lecture. Still geek speak but now I can at least ask "where is the bathroom?"
  6. Read assignments again. Create blog (easiest assignment first)
  7. Read assignments again. View VTC tutorials. Oh, I get it. Now I can hold a basic conversation in geek speak, though I'm still internally translating.
  8. View totally unrelated tutorials (a tad A.D.D.)
  9. Find out that my new ISP has put my service (that was to begin on May 29) on hold until I cancel my old ISP. Not what they told me so I'm going to make do with my old, slower dsl. Spend the day installing wireless adapter in old computer and setting up wireless network. Very frustrating but it's working.
  10. Continue to put off download. CD burner not working on old computer. Try new computer.
  11. Read assignments again. Sign up for ubuntu forum. Read Psychocat's unbuntu guide and took the Linux distribution quiz (several times to check out different options) Interesting but not helpful (yet?). There are a lot of good, basic, sequential readings and tutorials on linux, ubuntu, operating systems. This has helped immensely.
  12. Came to realization that I really should do the assignments in order. I'll give it a try next time, save myself some angst.
  13. Assignment 1: done
  14. Assignment 3: done (this took hours, not because of technology problems, but because of user problems)
  15. Assignment 4: done
Now, about Assignment 2.
Perhaps because my brain is so scattered, I function poorly in disorder. I don't like having to read online (Trees, I'm sorry for all the printing!) Reading the Discussion Posts, scrolling back and forth, is torture. By the time I've scrolled back up to look for something I read, I've forgotten what the first post I was reading said. So, I print and highlight and make notes. That helps.

Then, the webliography. The length is a put off and the librarian in me is screaming for order. Sorting by date and submitter is not very helpful. Even the sort by category option is weak. We need some subject headings or something. Also, I understand it's supposed to reflect everyone's input, but wouldn't it be nice to have FOLDDOC and Wikipedia listed once?

Am I the only scatterbrain out there?

No comments: