Thursday, July 24, 2008

Unit 10 On Relationships and Being Normal

The concepts in this unit were very hard to wrap my brain around. Again, it's the difficulty I have with abstraction. The readings, especially Wikipedia, were almost nonsensical to me. Having the examples was the only redeeming feature because I could see what the content was about. The tutorial on entities and attributes on VCT was very helpful but the one on normalization was difficult to follow. Seeing the information in the related databases was the most helpful.
I wouldn't say the concepts are clear to me... perhaps a more accurate description would be translucent. With practice and feedback I think I'll be able to get the basics.
One interesting thought I had was that there are people who think this way and live in this world. Wow! It's like an alternate universe :)
At the same time, I can relate the concept of relational tables to the databases I've used in the library. I just never thought about how they were conceived and put together. Thanks for doing that, whoever you are.

No comments: