Sunday, August 3, 2008

Unit 11 My Very Own SQL

I enjoyed the videos, readings, and assignments this week. For the most part, it all made sense to me. SQL is easier to "learn" than some of the languages we've played with thanks to the combination of plain English and logical structure. I understood what I was doing in the CLI and the phpMyAdmin application made it fun to play around and try things. I definitely preferred working in this app to the CLI and Webmin. The beauty part is that you can still write sql commands and/or look at them when you're guiing. (If that's not a verb, it should be!)
The part that is still difficult for me is the concept of right and left join. I can't picture it. I do understand that the results differ but I'm still fuzzy on what's happening; what's left and what's right? I'll need to go back and reread and look at videos again to see if it makes more sense the 2nd time around.
It is a relief to start doing database work. I feel as if I'm developing a tool that I can use at work, at school and at home. And, in spite of evidence to the contrary, I love organization. And who doesn't like being able to search deeply for the information one needs?

No comments: